About this blog

This blog documents the story of our family after our daughter Yasmin was diagnosed with leukaemia when she was two years old, just six weeks after our son Isaac was born. Now, four, Yasmin finished all her treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) in October 2014 and she had her port out - marking the end of her treatment in February this year. The first post can be found here or you can read how my husband Andrew and I felt when we got the diagnosis and when Yasmin started the most intense phase of treatment. The main purpose of the blog is to raise awareness of childhood leukaemia and its impact on families and to raise money for the different charities that have supported us during the most difficult of times. We have helped to raise £33,000 for charity so far, including £30,000 for Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital where Yasmin is undergoing treatment and £2000 for Haven House hospice. This year Andrew and I will hike Ben Nevis for Children with Cancer. Anyone wishing to donate can do so at our fundraising page here. You can get more information on Facebook or you can follow me on Twitter here. The blog and our fundraising efforts regularly feature in national newspapers and magazines while the BBC has covered our fundraising here and ITV here.

Language Settings

HERE ARE OUR LANGUAGE SETTINGS (more Japanese to follow): EN |  JA

Thursday, 28 February 2013


This week is a glorious week. After six, long, often horrendous months of intense, at times terrifying and at others painful, treatment, Yasmin is scheduled to start maintenance tomorrow. This means intense chemotherapy is over and 18 months of maintenance chemo will begin.
In the early dark days and the times when our lives have been a living nightmare since then, as we juggled caring for a new baby with our daughter’s hospital admissions, Andrew and I consoled ourselves by saying as long as we can get through this first six months and get to maintenance everything will get easier. We just have to get through this.
Now, here we are.
As the intense chemotherapy is dependent on blood counts, Yasmin's treatment has been delayed several weeks throughout the course. The start of maintenance is also count dependent so could have been delayed yet another week. I didn’t realise how tense I was about this until the text came through from the nurse with the weekly blood count results. As soon as I saw the numbers stating Yasmin’s neutrophils were high enough to begin, I burst into tears and then sobbed uncontrollably for ten whole minutes while my daughter looked at me in alarm. A cork had been popped from a highly pressurised bottle. The relief was immense.
Yasmin combing mummy's hair
“It’s ok,” I said. “I’m happy. I’m crying because I am happy. When daddy comes home tell him we have good news.”
Yasmin is fitter now than she has been since last June. Her legs, which had wasted away after she didn’t walk for three whole months, have taken on muscle definition and can now support her well when she starts to dance, one of her favourite activities.
She is due to start nursery two mornings a week from next week and after eight months at home or in hospital she is looking forward to making new friends.


  1. Brilliant! That's fantastic news. Now get on your dancing shoes! :)

  2. well done you and Yasmin

  3. Welcome to the other side of the Dark and Gloomy Woods! You'll never need to go through them again.

    All the best.


    1. That comment made me cry Dave! Thank you. x